Monday, August 3, 2009

A Little Test




How to know if your Dog is at risk for Snakebite?

Do you live in a Rattlesnake area?

Do you hike, run or play in snake areas?

Do you have a dog?
If so, you are at risk.


BREEDS THAT ARE HIGH RISK* Jack Russell* Siberian Husky* Terriers* Rottweiler* German Shepherd* Blue Heeler* Labrador* Golden Retriever* Australian Shepherd* Border Collie


Sadie flushed out a rattlesnake at the local off leash park yesterday. Now as I slip my feet under the covers my heart flutters to think that the snake is in there seeking its revenge.

I have never heard a rattlesnake before, but have been told that you will just know it when you do. And that sums it up pretty well. I think the snake Sadie found had to be the grand daddy, but really I have nothing to compare it to.

I was searching for tips to avoid rattlesnakes, I mean hindsight is 20/20 right? This is the quote that popped out at me.

"Letting them run off into the tall weeds is just asking for your faithful friends to stumble upon a rattlesnake lair"

So after the ducks, a bird and the rattlesnake I have retired Sadie from off leash. What is that about fool me once shame on me fool me twice......there isn't even a fool me three times, because their not really fooling you anymore are they?

6 comments:

Paws on the Run said...

What makes those breeds high risk? More susceptible to venom? Or more likely to seek one out?

Beth said...

Always knew they were down there - right? If anyone was going to find it (the snake) - you knew it was going to be Sadie! What a girl!

miradukesadie said...

I don't know, I thought it was more likely to seek one out.

onecollie said...

great picture Sandy!
I agree, I think that was a grand daddy for sure, I can still hear that rattle !!!!!

Kim said...

You are right to be cautious. One of our neighbour's dogs got bit last week when a rattler decided to sun itself in the dog run. Our neighbourhood is right in the middle of the rattlesnake migration path and even our kid's playground has a rattlesnake warning. We have a great field one block from our house that is a great place to take the dogs. However, in the summer it is home to the rattlesnakes, so we don't go there during rattlesnake season.

Sarah said...

i think it is the ones who seek them (terriers will be terriers ...if it is in a hole) and the area - stay away from Popson would be my advice! That place scares me! Though we have rattlers on the north side too - near the cliffs where the sun hits.

scary stuff, glad all is OK