Sunday, April 5, 2009

Breaking Point



Duke has a very long fuse, the only one to actually reach the end of it has been Sadie, and that's after continuous abuse. 99.9% of the time he will let her have what she wants and continue on for the ride. Tonight he reached his breaking point.

Sadie had found an old piece of rawhide and Duke decided he wanted it. I heard Sadie's cries of protest and saw Duke making a beeline for the dog door with Sadie in hot pursuit. As he ran by I grabbed it out of his mouth, and by the time he realized what had happened he was already outside with Sadie. I'm assuming he thought she stole it back, all I heard was several bloodcurdling screams from Sadie. I opened the back door and he had her pinned on the porch, she had soiled herself in fear. As soon as I made my appearance Duke let her up and she limped inside. I was so stunned, speechless actually. I knew the day would come, but I always thought Sadie would deserve it and it would be good for Duke to stand up for himself, within reason of course, but Sadie really hadn't done anything this time. I scolded Duke, but not harshly. I scanned Sadie over, but didn't let her milk it.

My trainer, Amanda has told me to stand up for Duke, or one day he is really going to show her who is boss. I hope this little incident reminds her that he is bigger and stronger. However, I am reminded of when she had her ear ripped open, and that hasn't slowed her down. Oddly enough, Mira has only had to put the fear of God in Sadie once and Sadie doesn't mess with her anymore.

I would really love to get inside that terriers head and know her reasoning. Or lack thereof.

5 comments:

manymuddypaws said...

she's a terrier. she's always right. it's always hers. she will always try. The one tell off a year hardly counter-acts the thousands of times she's taken advantage of him...

:o) But Duke will have forgotten by today what it was about and will go back to being a pushover. No worries

Sarah said...

Amanda said it perfectly. Sadie will remain the same, and so will Duke.

Just be glad you don't have 2 terriers, it would be a much more common occurrence.

They are a good yin/yang mix ... I know all about that!

Sarah said...

Sandy, I found this quote ....


Fox-terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs.

~Jerome K. Jerome, Three Men in a Boat

miradukesadie said...

OMG Sarah I love that quote!!!!

Thanks guys =)

Anonymous said...

Love the story. I got a dog door fro my guy years ago and it was one of the best investments I ever made. Dog Doors gives you and your dog the freedom he deserves.