Monday, June 1, 2009

It's Pouring

Its been a rough few days to say the least. Last night Mira had what can only be described as a doggy panic attack and ripped off her cast. It lasted all night, and as soon as I calmed her down and fell asleep, I woke again to the sounds of plaster cracking. Then I slept in after my alarm choose not to go off because it knows I'm in a rush to get Mira back to the vet and off to work after a sleepless night. In my morning panic I left the pantry door open and came home not only to food partially devoured and strewn around the house, but garbage as well because that is where I keep it locked up. And this is not your run of the mill garbage, no it had to be after my mom and I cleaned and tossed a bunch of old camping gear encrusted with dirt and mud. Cleaning old gooey and licked starburst off tile is not a joyful task. My dryer also decided it no longer wanted to perform it's only function - to dry clothes. Of course after a messy weekend, complete with dirty soaking wet towels. And the list goes on, but I digress.

I found some twisted humor this evening. I was given a fish for my birthday last December, one that lives in a small bowl, that has to be cleaned every week or the fish is no longer visable. Yesterday I couldn't find his food. I searched for it at supper and decided to just buy some more today. Then Mira had a melt down and I forgot. So again at supper I realized he had no food and I would have to go out and buy some. This came shortly after I strategically planned each day around Mira's constant watch. Even going as far as having a babysitter so I could buy groceries at some point. Angry, frustrated and clearly not thinking coherently I decided I would flush him down the toilet and peacefully "drown" him because I didn't want him to starve and I couldn't leave Mira to buy his food. As I watched him struggle against the swirling current I debated saving him only to reminisce over the weekly cleaning rituals, and I let him go. Not 20 minutes later as I stared helplessly out the kitchen window I saw his food on the ledge. I giggled psychotically as I realized that fish can't drown and wondered how in fact my poor fish would meet his maker.

But if I didn't laugh I'd cry and I'm all out of tears.

3 comments:

Paws on the Run said...

Marlin thinks you should flush the food down too so he has something to eat. :)

Thanks for turning your misery into something for our pleasure. I laughed so hard I have tears in my eyes.

On a more serious note... can it get much worse? I can only get better. Right?

See you tomorrow!

Anonymous said...

oh sandy. you are right that fish can't drown. he's going to live happily ever after with all the other little fishies people flush.

that sucks about Mira. maybe a cone is in order? not the big OH MY GOD I CAN'T SEE ones, but the neck ones so the dog just can't turn their heads or reach...

hope tomorrow is better for you!

amanda

Beth said...

Awwww - I would have taken your fish, or gone and gotten some fish food. Poor thing. Remember - whatever doesn't kill you will make you stronger! Or something like that.