Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Big Bad Labrador

*disclaimer* I harbor no prejudice toward any particular breed. I am of the belief that bad owners make bad dogs.

There is a house kiddie corner to us which happens to border a small path that allows access out of the neighborhood. It is a rental house and once was home to a judge mentally impaired couple and their children. This family had a pitbull terrier eloquently named Scrappy. Scrappy had the short "fighting style" cropped ears and was built like a brick shit house. It was common to see him dragging the 9 year old son around the neighborhood. To add to this Scrappy sired a litter of puppies and he was very protective of them.

One day I was passing through the path and the side window of said house was open. Through it I heard a women shout "what the hell are you lookin' at". I didn't even consider she was directing her profanities as me and kept walking. Except named person stumbles from the back porch and looks me over with glazed eyes and says she's sorry I was not who she thought I was. Weird, but I proceeded to move on. Then from behind I heared the familiar scratching of nails on cement picking up speed. When I turned around my world slowed down. It was just enough time to know that Scrappy was coming straight for us and I had to act. So I widened my stance and accepted that I might have to boot kick this dog in the head. Just when the world resumes speed again out from behind me striked Duke just in time to jump on top of Scrappy and attack grizzly bear style. I saw a flash of white teeth and heared the deadliest sound come from Dukes throat.

In fairness to Scrappy if he wanted a fight he had an open invitation. As soon as Duke showed aggression he high tailed it out of there. The best part was on the way back I came across the women's husband and his cronies drinking in the alley. The asked me if I crapped my pants when Scrappy came at us. I asked them if Scrappy crapped his when my Lab sent him packing!

The saddest part came a few weeks later when I saw how the cycle of these losers continues. The young boy was passing us and Duke barked at him, Duke doesn't like boys 10-15yrs old, who does really? But the boy glared at Duke and told his friend that Scrappy could kill him.

Some people shouldn't breed.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

they sound like some pretty classy people. YIKES.

when you described the cronies i thought of the "king of the hill" guys, you know hank and boomhauer and there beer drinking pals.