Saturday, October 4, 2008

The Golf Course Incident

I have one story, which occurred quite recently so the horrid details are still fresh. Around here we have 3 off leash dog parks, 2 of which are attached to rivers (thanks Wendy!). That leaves us with access to one. Why on earth would I subject myself and my 3 terrors to off leash? Because I'm a glutton for punishment. Ok seriously because they love it, and I love to see them happy - I think this is the cause of my demise. Anyway this one is adjacent to a golf course - nothing to fear right? Wrong!!!! Dead Wrong!!!!

So we were happily traveling the paths in the coulees and I can't see Duke and Sadie anymore. I do however hear a familiar splashing sound.......I'm puzzled as there is no water body nearby??? I have seen that he has run into the bush near the golf course so I push back the over growth and up to the decrepit "fence". I have arrived just in time to see a perfect stroke from the back stretch arching down onto the 9th hole green.........and a terrier underneath.

To my horror Sadie has streaked across the green, golf ball in mouth toward her brother who is now moronically splashing circles in the golf course water hazard. I must have screamed like no other because Sadie actually dropped the ball and stopped to look at me. Wasting no time I jumped over the tangled mess of chain link, grabbed her and kept going toward the water. As I attempted to coax Duke out of the water, I remember that I have 3 dogs - as now Mira has emerged from the dog park and is running aimlessly around the green.

I don't know how I eventually got him out. I think it took close to an hour. I had to hold a psyco terrier who wanted nothing more then to chase golf balls, and a horrified Mira who is afraid of loud noises, unfamiliar people, and apparently flying golf balls. And yes I had an audience. The icing on the cake was when I was dragging all 3 across the green toward the dog run an older lady asked me if I needed help. After watching me perform a feat no less then heroic on my own, I wanted to ask her if there was a humane society crisis line because I was about to kill them all!!!!!!

I like pictures so I'll leave you with a couple of my angels.






3 comments:

Diana said...

I know it wasnt for you, but that so funny! I can just see the dogs having the time of their life. Diana

Paws on the Run said...

Um...I just have to point out that the other two parks have a river next to them, not lakes.

You should have let Sadie chase the golf balls, maybe someone might have actually helped then! Either that or killed them for you.

Sarah said...

holy crap, too bad no one had a video camera, that is the funniest thing I have heard.

Even funnier - my dogs would have reacted and done the exact same thing *SIGH*

hehe