Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Sadie and the Worms




I was contemplating the title of this post, and decided it sounded like the title of a fable, but then I thought, it is comparable to a fable. The definition of a fable is "a short allegorical narrative making a moral point". Well this little gem I pulled out of the past definitely makes a point.

As previously disclosed Sadie was a pet store puppy. The lack of knowledge we had going into this seems so unreal to me now. Not that I am an expert by any means, but I think I have come a long way since the naive buyer I was in the pet store. Anyway we bought her, thus contributing to the wonderful world of puppy mills, and brought her to our backyardless apartment complex. Smart move.

I thought that getting a puppy at that point in my life was perfect, as I was off work and school for 2 months. There was only the small task of preparing for the most significant test of my life. The one that I had been working towards for the last 7 years of university thereby allowing me to practise pharmacy. No biggie. Upon asking Dustin what we should name her he said "coulda been a pharmacist?"

Crating Sadie was not conducive to studying, as she would scream, kick, fling poop and urine around her cage and surrounding area. So mostly she slept on my lap, thereby allowing me to focus for a few hours at a time. This worked for the first couple of weeks, when she still was the tiny baby stolen much too early from her mother. Then she got bigger and more playful and we had to incorporate potty training into my schedule. I thought I was so smart by teaching her to ring a little bell that I hung by the front door when she had to go out. Although her definition of having to go out, was not mine and it certainly didn't schedule around potty breaks. She would ring that horrible bell every 10 minutes and I was ready to cut it off its magnificently designed string. I tried the tie out and she would tangle herself in seconds and cry. There was no allowing any sort of X-pen or run, as per the lovely people who run the condo association. I'm not sure when my breaking point hit, but at some point I just opened the door and let her run wild. Every now and then a helpful neighbor would knock on my door holding the struggling mass that was Sadie and I would politely ask them if she was bothering them. If they said no I would pluck her from their arms and release her into back into the complex and turn back inside.

Something had to have happened here, obviously Sadie is alive and well (thank goodness, I'm not sure how) but something terrible did happen and much more repulsive. We had a wedding and I brought Sadie to my parents because we didn't leave her alone when we went out. She was a little off all day, but we didn't think much. Most of the out of town guest congregated at my parents pre wedding meal. Sadie and Otis, my parents dog, were going at it in the hall and my mom decided to step in and break it up. She grabbed Sadie around the waist to pick her up and that slight amount of pressure must have been just enough to release the floodgates. A huge rush of watery diarrhea came exploding out of her and down the hall. No one, and nothing was spared. The walls, the rug, and my cousin who was in an unfortunate position were all covered.

The vet said it was the worst case of worms she had seen in a domesticated animal. Well it made sense since Sadie wasn't really domesticated at the time. It turns out the garbage at the complex had been overfilling and people were just throwing garbage on the ground outside of the bin. Sadie helped herself to the decaying compost and viola, we have the best and worst wedding story ever!!!

So what is the moral point? If your going to be a pet owner, be a responsible one! Watch your friggin' dog!

7 comments:

onecollie said...

ok Sandy I laughed so hard my gut hurts....if I didn't know you I would think you made up all these stories!!! This one is the best so far!!

miradukesadie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
miradukesadie said...

Oh no, unfortunetly they're all true. I'm glad we made you laugh =)

manymuddypaws said...

oh sandy, you crack me right up. :o)

Sarah said...

OMG, top 10 best stories EVER.

miradukesadie said...

Thank you, thank you, thank you very much

*bows shamlessly*

Paws on the Run said...

Are you sure you've learned to watch your dog? I think I recall picking my dogs up only a few months ago and Sadie was off running in the neighborhood chasing the resident wild bunny that lives next door... maybe you better go get more dewormer!