Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Mira's Mass - Part 2

Mira must have started to miss little alien Monday afternoon. After discovering he didn't lay beneath the stretchy wrap she decided he must be hidden under the black threads.........

All things careless can be traced back to husbands, or men for that matter. Mira was under the unwatchful eye of her dad. I knew as soon as I got home what she had accomplished, as she wasn't weight bearing on that leg. I flipped over the paw and sure enough the stitches were dangling uselessly from shards of fatty tissue. I rushed her to our vet Kendra who was quite disgusted that her beautiful sewing job was in ruins. She decided not to stich it back up as too much healing had occurred. We were to keep it bandaged and start antibiotics.

So me with my bright ideas (bone-shaped pool) decided I would apply various substances to her bandage to encourage her to leave it on. I came up with bitter apple spray, pickle juice and hot sauce, and of course I got many suggestions from others - lavender, vinegar, dish soap. I decided the bitter apple spray would be the most convenient and applied it first. Mira immediately started in on it. Then I had my ahhh moment! I have yet to discover any food-like substance that Mira hasn't liked. Have you ever seen a dog eat a clove of garlic and ask for more? Ditto for pickles, onion, mushroom. The best part is that the other two think if she is eating it they must also have some. This results semi-chewed blobs of food spat out on to the carpet. Although this doesn't even deter Mira, she will happily eat the pre-digested sample. So I've decided the best thing would be to leave it plain and hope for the best. Although I may go to the hot sauce, but only as a last resort via Amanda's request.


Now I have to eat my words. After entering the blog I went to take a picture of Mira with her wrapped up foot, and this is what I saw. That green and white item on the floor is her cast! She's looking very proud of herself. Maybe I'll try the hotsauce after all.

5 comments:

Sarah said...

oh Mira!!

she looks rather proud of herself!

did you try the bitter flavoured vet wrap?? i doubt it would deter her though.

my guys LIKE hot sauce, and since Mira is from the "South" I think she'll like it too.

could you try a little kid sock over top then tape the top where the sock and leg meet up really well, that is what I do for K and he isn't able to get it off - but his was on his back too ... hmmmm

manymuddypaws said...

you tried the dishsoap?

or put a cone her freakin' head. we have one at the daycare you can borrow

miradukesadie said...

Are you kidding me??!!! Have you met Mira? A cone! on her head! She would probably soil herself

Paws on the Run said...

Do you think all husbands have the same "watchful eye"? Apparently Marlin and Dustin have it in common. Although Lacey just ate a book - a daily occurrence in your house! tee hee!

onecollie said...

yah, about those husbands...I got home today to an angry one...apparently Kort got into the garbage again, & grabbed the toliet paper roll from the bathroom & ran all over the house with it...when I asked where he was when this was going on, he answered, "watching tv"!!!