Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Who's Your Daddy?



About a year ago we collected Duke's DNA and mailed it to a company in California for determination of heritage. I'm not sure what possessed me to inquire, it could have been the entourage of people with their backyard bred, tall, lanky "labs" telling me he had to be part Rottie. Either way we had it performed and the results concluded purebred Labrador Retriever.

Then came Mira. I believe it was the tedious and repetitive task of informing people I had no idea what she was. That or reducing her description to a German Shepard because we had to choose something. So we retrieved a sample of her cheek cells, sealed and mailed it away.

Flash forward - I received the most interesting voice mail on my phone. A gentlemen with an American accent told me he was from Metaphorphix DNA and he was inquiring about Mira. I called back but not wanting to release any details as to sway his results, I asked him first what the analysis concluded. He informed me indefinitely she was a mutt - she had no strong primary or even secondary DNA matches. This defines her parents as both being mutts. However there were 3 main breeds that they found in her mix. The first was black and tan coon hound, which is actually what the rescue labelled her. The next was a pleasant surprise - flat-coat retriever! Hello Kaleb! Then I inquired as to why he was so perplexed by the analysis. He told me the final breed that came up was no other then the - Chihuahua!! I was in line at the local petsmart and I let out a crowd inquiring knee- slapping, snorting howl! Well I said someone just commented on her dainty little feet!!!

So there you have it my beautiful Flat Coat Chihuahua Hound! At least I have an answer now, no matter how ridiculous.

5 comments:

Paws on the Run said...

Let's hope it is who's your daddy and not who's your mommy as a dog that tiny giving birth to a pup that big would not be a pleasant experience!

I've really got to get Lacey tested. Maybe she is part Lancashire Heeler! :) (That was for you Amanda).

PS - I can tell you are loving your blog Sandy. Admit it!

miradukesadie said...

Loving it!!!!

onecollie said...

that is hilarious!!! I can just picture you killing yourself laughing over it too!
I knew you'd be great at blogging!

Sarah said...

NOW that is F'ing funny!! OMG!!!

that is a TOTALLY bizzaro-world-dog thing!!!
.... she is related to my dogs....
Kaleb and Jane (who is mistaken as part Chihuahua)

and she is a southern belle like gyp.

funny that a flat-coat would come up as they are NOT a common dog, but I guess their DNA goes back farther than a lot of dog breeds? Golden Retirevers are actually FROM flat-coats, they CAN carry a yellow recessive gene which started goldens.

So technically coulee is related to Kaleb too HAHA :)

manymuddypaws said...

haha! that's awesome. maybe Mira should get a role on the stupid chihuahua movie!